LeRoy’s 1973 Centennial sparked the first endeavor toward a museum to record the history of LeRoy and the surrounding area. Several long-time residents started collecting artifacts and were given permission to use the then vacant depot building. In 1986, Harold & Alberta Nelson donated the old LeRoy Exchange Bank building, built in 1901, to have a permanent home for the community museum. The LeRoy Area Museum was dedicated on July 11, 1987 at the annual Razzasque Days Festival.
Since it’s organization, the LeRoy Area Historical Society of volunteers has worked hard to catalog and preserve the history of the pioneers of the LeRoy area, their families and the history of life in northern Michigan. The society has catalogued information from local cemeteries and genealogies of area pioneer families. A building expansion allowed for additional display areas and need for fundraising. The society conducts various fundraisers to support the projects of the museum. Volunteers donate countless hours to keep up displays and update records.
The museum is open every Saturday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Memorial Day to Labor Day and by appointment at any other time. Society members are happy to open the museum to interested visitors or school tours interested in learning more about our community.
Anyone interested in learning more about the LeRoy Area Historical Society should contact Robert Houseman at 231-388-3489 or via email.
LeRoy Area Historical Society, PO Box 356, LeRoy, MI 49655